It is never too late to improve your health and quality of life. Massage can help you to achieve this goal by encouraging activity and vitality. Massage stimulates the circulation so that aches and pains are diminished, joints and muscles are loosened, and it is possible to become more mobile. Furthermore, the relaxing effects of massage induce a feeling of well-being and an optimistic outlook on life.
In the developed world the fastest growing section of the population is the over-80s. As a result of improved diet and better standards of medical care, many elderly people remain active and busy, and continue to enjoy life. For others, however, the effects of ageing and inactivity mean that their lives are plagued by aches and pains, increased stiffness, less energy, and illness.
With age, the skin becomes thinner, losing its elasticity. Massage has a two-fold benefit: it increases the circulation, "feeding" the skin by bringing more nutrients to it in the bloodstream, and the oils used in massage soften the skin. Massage and essential oils can also help to heal ulcers and to relieve other skin conditions that may occur with age.
- Relief of pain from tight muscles. Muscles are gently kneaded and stretched, relieving spasm and allowing circulation to increase
- Improved health and mobility of joints. Massage relieves muscle tension that restricts movement, and improves natural joint lubrication as circulation increases.
- Improved posture and coordination. Relief of chronic muscle tension allows greater ease of movement.
- Relief from itchy, dry skin. Massage increases circulation to the skin, improving both tone and elasticity and moisturizing naturally. Using lotion or massage oil can also soften and soothe the skin.
- More restful sleep. Reduced muscle tension increases comfort and deepens sleep.
- Reduced swelling from excess water retention. Massage gently moves fluid into circulation system where it can be eliminated.
- Faster healing from injuries or surgery. Increased circulation improves the flow of oxygen and nutrients to cells and removes waste products.